Wednesday, February 26, 2014

It's a Piece of Cake

When JJ was 18 months old, his pediatrician told me that by the time he was two, other people (not Mom and Dad) should be able to understand half of his words.  I think he easily hit this milestone, but he still has a few words that make the "others" raise their eyes and question what he is talking about.

For example... When JJ talks about his "eppa arrows," I know he means Super Heroes.  When he asks if I'm going out my grills, he's talking about my girls.  When he wants to watch animals on the "peter" his is talking about the computer.  

What I hadn't realized until recently is that while I was so focused on trying to understand him, there were way more times he has been trying to figure out what the heck I was talking about. I think he can usually understand my words clearly, but understanding some of the slang we use, is a whole different language.

So here is a list of some of the concepts that are tough for a two year old to comprehend.

1. Piece of cake.  JJ was playing with a toy when I showed him how to put two pieces together.  I showed him and said, "See - piece of cake."  I kid you not- he spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why the elephant had cake and where the heck that cake was.

2. McDonald's.  Sure - most two year old know and love McDonalds, but my none meat eater hasn't been there much being there is not one thing on the menu he will put in his mouth.  When we were about to stop at McDonald's for a potty break on a recent road trip, he was so excited.  His excitement didn't really mean much, because he is often excited for things he has no idea about.  However, his excitement dwindled and his confusion level rose when entered "Ole McDonalds on da farm" and there were no animals with moo moo heres and moo theres.  And no EIEIOs. 

3. Around the block.  Recently we had an unseasonably warm day.  Since we are in the middle of the winter from hell, we took full advantage and took a walk - yes, around the block.  Halfway around, JJ was still looking for the block.  And now he thinks every corner we take is "around the block."  When we drive to daycare, it is "around the block."  Last night at Walmart he pointed out the window to "around the block." This one could take a while to fully understand...

4. Forts.  All kids love forts and JJ is no exception.  The problem is, sometimes Jeff and I are lazy, so we hold a blanket over our heads and call it a fort.  Now, every time JJ has a blanket over his head, he thinks he is in a fort.  Oh well, it makes him happy.

I'm sure there are many, many more, but I'm too busy helping JJ lift "hebby" things and not fall on "sippery" floors to notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover