Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mommy Fix It

JJ is in a phase where when anything is not how it should be, he hands it to me and says, "Mommy, fix it."  Usually it is the tire that fell off his toy motorcycle or the bath toy that needs more water in it so he can squirt it.

The other day, he dropped a piece of sidewalk chalk and it broke into two pieces.  He handed it to me and, as expected, said, "Mommy, fix it."   I tried to explain it to him that I couldn't fix it, but now it was even better because he had two pieces of chalk instead of just one.  I don't think he bought it.

As he went on drawing with his chalk, I was amazed at how saddened I was that I wasn't able to put his chalk back together and "fix it" for him. It was at that point I realized I was for some tough times ahead when JJ needs me to "fix it."

So here's the deal, JJ.  I will do everything in my power to fix whatever I can.  I will put the lid on your sippy cup; I will tape the pages back in your book that you tear out; and I will get down on all fours and fix the chain on your bike some day.  I will kiss your boo boos and hold you when you cry, but sometimes there will be things, just the like broken chalk, that I just don't have the power to fix.

When some stupid girl breaks your heart, I will be there for you and buy you ice cream.  When the classroom bully calls you a name, I will stand up for you and hug and reassure you.  When you don't make the varsity team (even though you were better than that other guy), I will still be your biggest fan on the sideline and probably embarrass you by cheering too loudly.  But unfortunately, there are tough times and bad things that Mommy just can't fix.  Even if it is just the stupid chalk.

Like this blog?  Follow The JJ Project on Facebook here, on Pinterest here, and on Instagram (thejjproject).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover