Monday, July 1, 2013

File These Under, "What was I Thinking???"

Overall, I’d like to think I’m a damn good mom.  Occasionally, though, I do some pretty dumb things.  Harmless, but pretty dumb.  This weekend I had two big dumb moves. 
First, let’s go back a few weeks.  We were at a friend’s house and JJ had a blast playing with all of the new and different toys.  He especially loved the drums.  You see where this is going, don’t you? Well, it just so happens, my mom likes to spoil the kid (go figure - for a grandma?) and sent some moola for us to buy him some toys.  We had just a little left and I had a flashback to his love of the banging on the drums.  I found a cheap set at Walmart and decided to go for it.  The ironic thing here is that I grew up in a house where music was a big deal.  We all took piano lessons, played in the band (seriously – I went to band camp like four times), and everyone but me could carry a pretty darn good tune.  In our house – drums were not instruments and not an option!  They don’t even have notes for goodness sake.  Okay, okay.  I realize that JJ banging on the $20 Walmart drum set at 19 months does not mean he is going to grow up to be a world class drummer, but I’m pretty sure this is the first drum set owned in the history of my family.  But it comes back to what on earth was I thinking torturing myself by buying a toy that a kid will spend hours and hours banging on and making ridiculous noise?  Dumb move?  Yeah, probably.  But when it makes my kid this happy, I’d buy him 100 drum sets if that’s what he wanted!
Second, I know the APA (or some acronym like that) says kids aren’t supposed to watch any TV until they are at least two years of age.  But seriously?  Whenever I read stuff like this it really makes me wonder if the people that create these guidelines have ever had children.  Or even been around children.  Don’t get me wrong I don’t throw my kid in front of the TV for hours on end and use it as a babysitter.  We spend plenty of time outside and playing with toys and sitting on the potty and all the other things you typically do with a 19 month old.  But honestly, there are just some times when you need to sit down with your kid, throw on a good Disney show or animated movie, and enjoy some peace and quiet. 
JJ’s first TV obsession was Mickey Mouse.  No problem.  Good quality learning.  But I swear there are only like 10 shows in circulation and it didn’t take long before I’d seen them all way too many times.  We tried some other shows, but none really stuck like good ole Mickey.  Then one day, Monsters, Inc. was on TV and my brilliant husband started watching it with JJ.  Little man was instantly hooked.  We got it recorded on DVR (with commercials, but no big deal – DVR is just too easy!).  From that point on, there was no turning back.  JJ instantly loved Mike, and Sully was close behind.  He now knows Boo and even likes Randall (I keep trying to tell him Randall is a bad guy, but he just won’t listen!). And the best part – it’s funny.  I actually enjoy watching it.  And trust me, I’ve watched it A LOT!  Jeff and I even quiz each other on the specifics (like how many of the monsters wear clothes) and try to catch bloopers (like when the number on the locker changes between camera angles).  Yeah – we’ve seen it that much!
Anyway, so the new Monsters University just came out and we got a free pass for buying a Monsters toy at ToysRUs, so knowing JJ is way too young for a movie theater, we decided to give it a shot and take JJ to the movie anyway.  In hindsight, I’m thinking there are a number of reasons/ persuasions we made this decision:
1.     Being we have a toddler, I can’t remember the last time we saw the inside of theater, and darn it, I just wanted to go to a movie!
2.     Honestly, I’m really into the Monsters right now and I just really wanted to see this movie.
3.     JJ has watched a pretty good chunk of the movie at a time at home, so surely when you put it on a big screen he can sit through a lot.
4.     We had a free pass.  Shit like that just burns holes in my pocket and I can’t not spend it, right?
So we pick a matinée time and head to the theater.  We get into the theater and see this display.
JJ is stoked.  This is going to be great.  We planned it so we would get there right as the movie started, because we are not always dumb parents.  However, we did not anticipate the like 20 minute mini movie about a damn blue umbrella that was never ending and likely the most boring thing we’ve ever seen.  JJ already lost all interest in the movie and just wants to run.  He and Jeff run around in the hallway waiting for the movie to start while Mom gets stuck watching the stupid umbrella fly through the air. 
Movie starts.  Finally.  JJ is sitting and is intrigued.  For about two minutes.  I’m not too worried, because, again, I’m not always dumb, so I have plenty of graham snacks in my purse.  He watches as he eats, but then he is full.  I think we may have made it about 15 minutes into the movie before it is my turn to run the halls with JJ.  Sadly, he was much more interested in the broken driving arcade game that had a blank screen than the movie.  I thought he’d burn some energy and we could try the movie some more, but no go.  Epic fail.  So in the end, I – I mean JJ – did not get to see the movie.  Maybe we’ll try this again in a few years.
In other news…
JJ is starting up his own landscaping business.  Let me know if you are need of a good lawn boy.
And this was just too funny to not share.  This went on for about an hour.  I kid you not – he can throw a ball and laugh over and over forever, but God forbid he sit through more than 15 minutes of a really good movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover