Monday, June 24, 2013

Chalk it up to a Success!

Before I get to JJ news, just a few notes.  First, I’m trying to make my blog more user friendly, so you will notice that if you hover over a picture, a little P pops up and you can pin it directly to Pinterest.  How cool is that??  Second, I recently started adding ads to my blog.  I have no idea how they do it, but the ads are supposed to be relevant to what is in your blog.  I’ve noticed ads for pooper scoopers and my friend saw one for a spray that you spray on toilet paper that turns it into a wet wipe.  Clearly, I write about too much about poop!
On to the fun stuff.  As always our weekend was filled with tons of fun activities.  I’ll write more about what a little fish JJ is later, but for this blog, I want to focus on our awesome liquid chalk activity!  I found this activity on Pinterest and have to give full credit to this blog.  This woman has such great ideas – if you are a parent and you don’t follow her on Pinterest or follow her blog, you are truly missing out on many cool things you could do with your kiddo(s). 
The greatest thing about this liquid chalk is it was easy for me to make.  I find lots of cool ideas, but many of them require trips to four different stores to buy supplies and I’m just way to busy (lazy) to do that.  So here is what you need:
Baking Soda
Corn Starch
Water
Food Coloring (neon is the best)
Vinegar
Water Bottles (I bought mine at Walmart for $1 each, but even an old shampoo or ketchup bottle would work).

All you do is fill the bottle about 2/3 full with equal amounts of baking soda and corn start, fill with water and stir (I used a butter knife which worked pretty well).  Add some food coloring and you are ready to go.  Also -fill one bottle with vinegar.  Don’t let them sit too long are the stuff will settle at the bottom and turn into a blob (which might be kind of cool to play with…).
I went with blue and greenish/ yellow and JJ loved it.  We first just sprayed some liquid chalk on the driveway.
Then the fun part- top it with some vinegar and it fizzes (I’m not sure if JJ liked seeing the fizz or saying “Fizz” more!). 

Apparently at 18 months, the concept of “point the bottle down and squeeze” is difficult.  He could point it down and he could squeeze it, just not at the same time.  Nonetheless, we made it work and had a blast. 
video
My apologies for the bad video – it’s not easy being Mom and videographer all at once!
And just to note, the liquid chalk washed off the driveway with water – no problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover