Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Bitty Bitty Bitty (I asked JJ what to title this post and that is what he said)

I’ve said it a number of times - I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom.  And I’m not ashamed of that.  I love my kid more that life itself, but when I look at what is best for him – all day, every day at home with me is not it. 
I think that was clear to both of us pretty early on.  I absolutely loved every moment of my maternity leave, but when the three months were up, I was ready to go back to work.  I wish I could have taken him with me, but I was ready to work.  And we were both ready to be done being cooped up in the house every day.  There are only so many runs to Target and lunches with friends we could do to keep us busy.
So he has now been in daycare for almost a year and I truly think it is the best thing for him.  I do not have the mind of a teacher.  I do not make lesson plans.  I can only read the same books so many times in a day.  And on weekends, I still sometimes wonder how many trips we can make to Target to keep us busy.  Don’t get me wrong, we have fun.  I love to build blocks, look at flashcards, shoot baskets, play peek-a-boo, and all that good stuff, but it is cold outside and we eventually get bored. 
But at daycare, he does all of this…

Seriously, I would never think to do yoga with him and circle time is difficult with only two people.  And the little man is a social butterfly.  We walk in in the mornings and he owns that walk.  He points at the teacher and marches into his room letting them all know that JJ has arrived.  Sure, it makes me a little sad that he just waves and says, “Bye, bye” like it ain’t no thing, but I know he is happy there and that is what counts.  
So when a friend of mine posted this on facebook a few days ago it got me thinking. 

What would life be like if I was home with JJ and not working?  Ok, I’ll admit, it didn’t get me thinking for long.  It took me about two seconds to come to realize that JJ and I both would be pulling our hair out and it would be a daily battle trying to figure out what to do all day.  It just isn’t our thing.  I truly feel that what I am doing what is best for our family.  It may not be what is best for every family and that is ok, but it works for us.  I love my job, JJ loves daycare, and I cherish every minute I get with him.  And between Jeff and I and daycare, I think we are all doing a darn good job, because these are all the awesome things he can do and say these days…
Animal noises!  JJ knows a lion says “Arrrrr” and a cow says “Booo.”  Yeah, booo – don’t judge!  And an owl says, “Who Who” and a dog says, “woof woof.”  He can also say, “duck” and I think he makes a little bit of a fish face. 
He is finally saying Mama and Dada and knows what he is saying, and loves to give kisses, blow kisses, and wave and say, “Bye, bye.”  He even waved a hello the other day.
He says “ma” for a lot of things including milk (and water), more (the sign language he knows helps us figure out this one), Mickey (as in Mouse), and pretty much anything that starts with an M.
Likewise, “ba” can mean ball, bath, and pretty much anything that starts with a B.  Except banana that is “lana” with a fancy roll in the L.  Other favorite B words are bubu (bubbles in the bath), book, and boon (balloon). 
Speaking of bath, he loves to put his face in the water and is pretty darn proud of himself when he does so.  Too cute. 
I’m also pretty sure he said Scooby Doo the other night, but I have no idea how or when he would learn that.  He is a fast learner, though, and Scooby Doo is fun to say.
He also knows “Melmo” (Elmo) when we see him in books.
And most importantly, when we were watching the KU game, we worked on “Go Jayhawks!”  He got the fist pump with the “oh” down (much to his father’s dismay), but we are still working on “Jayhawks.”  He did frequently point out the ball on the TV though.

When he is not busy saying all that stuff, he tells us many other very important things like Bitty Bitty and Teet Teet Teet that only those that speak babble understand.
And, just in case you were worried, yes, he is still this cute!

2 comments:

  1. Cassidi - I love this. I gave the stay-at-home mom thing a shot and while I enjoyed my precious time with my son, I'm ready. I've been ready. And my son is ready, too. He started daycare part time in September and is doing awesome. It was a tough transition, but I think it's the best thing for our family, too. As I head back to work full time tomorrow, this post made me feel like it's not selfish to want to pursue my career. :) And your little man is definitely SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know I'm not alone! I decided to try the stay at home mom thing too about 7 months ago and I'm going crazy. I'm married and I'm 37 years old. I have a 4 year old girl and a 17 year old boy. My 4 year old daughter needs to socialize more and so do I. I had good intentions when I decided to stay home (lesson plans, play dates, reading books) but we rarely do those things. Like Cassidi, I don't have a mind of a teacher and we have no structure and I feel my daughter is missing out educationally and socially. I don't have any friends with kids her age and making new friends is hard for me. I'm ready to go back to work. When I tell my daughter she's going back to school she tells me she doesn't want me to go back to work and that makes me feel guilty. I'm not happy and it's effecting my relationship with my husband and my kids. Then I have my mother telling me that I need to go to church and get closer to GOD. I'm so overwhelmed. I'm seriously considering asking for my old job back even though I left on not so good terms. I don't know what to do :-(

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover