Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oh Lordy!!

I’m not whining.  Up to this point my pregnancy has been a piece of cake.  I haven’t had even a hint of morning sickness, no weird food aversions or cravings, no extreme fatigue, nothing.  However, every now and then when I get up from a chair, I get a twinge in my lower left back that my doctor said is due to my uterus resting on my sciatic nerve.  She warned me that the bigger I get, the more this will hurt – to the point the pain will likely shoot all the way down my leg.  No biggie, right?  I can handle a little pain. 
Or can I???  For some reason a few days ago, around 4:00 p.m. I noticed the pain was there even when I was standing, and every now and then as I was walking it would catch me by surprise.  It wasn’t too bad, so when I got home from work, I decided maybe my planned walk with my walking buddy, Maria, would work it out and I’d feel better.  Before the walk, I most just stood around the house because it wasn’t too easy to return to a standing position, but I wasn’t worried, the walk would cure it all… 
The walk itself went fine, no major jolts of pain and I felt pretty good.  But that didn’t last.  When I got home, it started pretty mild and gradually worsened.  Jeff was out working in the yard and I was busy doing laundry and chores inside.  It finally got to the point every step hurt and bending over was not even an option.  I guess the clothes can stay in the dryer for another day! 
Fast forward to about 8:00.  Jeff is back inside and we are both on the couch.  At this point, I’m looking at my belly begging this child to roll over or something so he or she is not laying on my nerve (I don’t even know if this has anything to do with the pain, but at this point I’ve resorted to begging a 16 week old fetus!).  Then, silly me, I attempted to get up.  After a number of moans, crazy flinches, and likely a few cuss words, I made it to my feet.  I look over at my dear husband to get some sympathy and he has not even looked up from the game he is playing on his phone!  Are you kidding me?  I know since this pregnancy has been easy for me, he’s accustomed to having it pretty easy, too, but Momma Cass needs some attention here!  So I let him know – the conversation went a little something like this:
Cassidi:  Do you not see the amount of pain I’m in right now????
Jeff: I just got done working in the yard for three hours, I’m tired.
Cassidi: I don’t care – I think I’m dying here!
Jeff: Oh.
Still not the sympathy I was looking for, but maybe he’s figured it out and next time he will coddle to my every need.  Sure, Cassidi, wishful thinking!  5 minutes later…
Cassidi to Jeff as he’s standing between me and the TV: Can you please sit down?
Jeff:
Cassidi: SIT DOWN!!!
Jeff: (Smiling) Is that your first pregnancy outburst?
Yes, I think it was.  And probably not my last.  He at least can make me laugh. 
So, plan B.  Since the walk didn’t help, maybe drinking a lot of water will help (this worked for a friend when she had back pains for a different reason, but I’m desperate, so I thought I’d give it a go).  Not good planning on my part.  All this did was cause me to make three very painful trips to the bathroom throughout the night.  Thank goodness the sink is close enough to the toilet I could lean on it to get up and down! 
Anyway, by morning, my back miraculously felt fine and my piece of cake pregnancy is back in action.  For how long is yet to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover