Monday, July 25, 2011

Oh, Boy!

There is no question, I am officially outnumbered.  The penis to vagina ratio in my home is now 2:1.  Here’s how the day went…
6:30 a.m.: Wake up.  I’m sure most of you think this is no big deal, but we don’t have anywhere to be until the doctor’s appointment at 9:30, so this is a sleep in day.  We are never up this early on a sleep in day, but I guess the excitement got the best of us.  So for about two hours, we are lost.  I have no idea what people do that wake up this early and have nowhere to be.  I know this will change in about five months, but for now, I am just bored and anxious. 
9:30 a.m.:  Sign in to see the sonographer.  I’ve got my bladder just the right fullness and I’m ready to find out if this is a boy or girl I’ve been toting around inside me.  We finally get back to the room and as we are getting settled, she asks if we want to find out the gender.  “Absolutely!”  She then notices Jeff’s Yankee’s hat and my Yankee’s shirt and tells us her husband is a Red Sox fan and hates the Yankees.  If this wasn’t an important appointment, Jeff likely would have walked out at this point.  However, his nervousness took over and he didn’t even really say much in response.  She put the goo on my gut and started getting the machine in place as I’m getting settled.  I’m still getting adjusted as she says, “First we’ll do a look at the baby and get measurements, then we’ll check you and make sure you look ok.  It’s a boy.  Then we’ll get you lots of pictures.”  Hold on!!!  I haven’t even looked at the screen yet and doesn’t that announcement deserve a little more attention than being thrown in the middle of the what-we-will-cover information???  Anyway, we heard it and Jeff is jumping around the room fist pumping.  Jeff then asks if she is sure, and I tell him to look at the screen- there is no doubt! 

I later told my mother he wasn’t shy about showing the world his business and she replied that she would expect nothing less from Jeff and I’s child.  True that, Mom!  The rest of the appointment goes fine.  JJ Elliott is now 14 ounces and is measuring on track for his due date (December 7).  My doctor told me I’m having a boring, healthy pregnancy, which is just fine with me.  JJ was apparently in there just chilling out with his feet crossed (hence the big toes on the outside). 

5:30 p.m: Jeff gets home from work (I had the whole day off) and it is time to celebrate. 

Don’t worry- that is apple juice in my wine glass.  I just felt this was worthy of a special glass. 
6:00 p.m.: Off to the mall for the first baby purchase.  No big surprise here!

7:00 p.m.: Dinner at Olive Garden.  Not sure why we love Olive Garden so much, but it is our go-to place.  I think it was a good choice for the occasion because as we were sitting there, I realized that about six months ago we were at that exact location, but it was after the last of many negative pregnancy tests.  The night was a disaster and I remember breaking down and crying during the meal.  Great to be back on a much happier day.
8:30 p.m.: Jeff’s It’s a Boy cigar.  He said it tasted nasty, but that didn’t stop him. 

9:30 p.m.:  In bed, falling asleep.  Yep, we’ve turned into that couple that is in bed at 9:30 on a Friday night and I couldn’t be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover