Monday, May 9, 2011

And Plan B

 
Come on, you had to know Plan A wasn’t going to work, because if it did, what would be the point of me writing this blog?  It’s kind of like when I read The Hunger Games.  I knew Katniss was going to survive because, otherwise, the two books to follow would have no point. 
So, bring on the drugs.  This plan starts with another meeting with Dr. Milroy.  We discuss our options for drugs.  Option 1 is Clomid.  I’ve heard this is what Kate Gosslin took.  It’s a pill that you take days three through seven (everything in this process revolves around what day of your cycle it is).  It stimulates your ovaries and hopefully helps some of those “cheerleader” eggs mature so that your chance of conceiving is increased.  The doctor insured me they would monitor my follicle growth to make sure I didn’t have too many follicles mature and end up with our own reality tv show in the future.  Positives of Clomid – inexpensive and easy to take.  Downsides – side effects such as hot flashes (not like this is anything new to me) and it sometimes makes women quite moody (I have one friend who called them her crazy pills).
Option 2 – Injectable medications.  With these, we do shots in my stomach at home from day three to day ten or so.  Positive- they work better than Clomid.  Negative – they cost $2,000 to $3,000 per month. 
As we are not ones to spend three grand unless necessary (but we will if needed, we really want a baby!), we decide to try the Clomid for three months to see if that is enough for us.  On day three I start popping the pills and on day sixish, the hot flashes hit.  I really can’t complain too much.  They only came at night so sleeping was rough, but it could have been much worse.  As far as the mood swings, no problems at all.  On day ten, I went in for an ultrasound to do a follicle check.  By now, I’m getting pretty good at seeing what is on the screen and I can see what she confirms, only one follicle is maturing.  Not what I was hoping for, but she assures me one is good.  At least there is no reality show ahead of me.  Time to start peeing on the stick, “cuddling up” when its time, and dragging myself through the dreaded two week wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover