Thursday, April 14, 2011

Once Upon a Time...

Yeah, I thought my road to motherhood would be a fairytale all the way through, and maybe it will still end like a fairytale, but it definitely hasn’t all gone  as I planned.  So let’s start at the beginning, well the beginning of my quest to become a mom. 
Actually, before I do, let me give fair warning.  My life in this blog will be an open book.  I will talk about the good and the bad, the funny and the sad, and even intimate details that most women going through this feel is nobody’s business but their own.  So read on at your own risk.  I will hold nothing back.
I was 37 years old and planning a trip to the beautiful island of St. Lucia in two months to marry the man of my dreams.  Knowing I’m not a spring chicken, we decide that we’ll start working on creating a little miracle as soon as we tie the knot.  So even though my doctor said I could start trying to get pregnant immediately after I quit taking the pill, I (along with some of my friends and family members) have a theory that getting pregnant too soon after the pill can cause miscarriages (and yes, at times I think I know more than doctors).  Therefore, time to throw that little blue case in the trash and get my body ready for what is ahead.  And let me tell you, it’s not what I expected.
After just a few days without those little pills, the hot flashes began.  What do I think?  The same thing any woman in denial would think.  Maybe the room just got hot.  Maybe my body is just adjusting to being off the pill.  Maybe it’s excitement for the wedding.  So I put up with them for the month thinking they will go away.  Oh- and for those of you have never had the joy of experiencing a hot flash yet, there is no doubt what is happening when it hits!  But then 28 or so days later… why isn’t my period starting? 
Of course, the next course of action for anybody with a medical question in the year 2010, www.webmd.com.  Having heard there is such a thing as early menopause, I decide to start on this topic.  Symptoms – hot flashes (of course), missed periods, vaginal dryness (yeah, had a little of that, too- this is one of those things I warned you about in the beginning).  Pretty much described what I’ve been going through to a T.  As much as I’d like to remain in my little world of denial (I mean, come on, I’m only 37, this can’t be happening to me), time to admit something is going on.  Next step, call the OB/GYN.

1 comment:

  1. Cassidi, I love your blog and can't wait to follow your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover